Finally, a Pintrest idea that works! I love Pintrest, as a lot of people do, and I have so many DIY and food pins that it’s time to make sub-boards. After seeing many pins about baked avocado and egg, I finally had a chance to try it over the long weekend. As my patience ran short that morning, I did not wait for Pintrest to load up the recipe. This was the perfect time to just wing-it!
A couple notes before you dive into the recipe:
- make sure you haul out enough avocado to fit the size of egg you’re cracking in, or else you will have a pool of egg whites on your counter.
- cup your hands while wrapping the bacon around the avocado. Between the slippery avocado and egg white dripping off the sides, your breakfast may end up on the floor.
- serve in soup bowls or another dish with sides. If you like your egg yolks soft, there will quite the mess.
Here is the recipe for 2 people:
4 Bacon, strips
Parmesan cheese, for grating
Cracked pepper, for seasoning
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) Half avocados and remove pit.
3) Hollow out portions of the avocado center, just enough to fit the cracked egg. Be careful not to break the walls of the avocado. Using a large spoon, remove entire avocado and skin.
4) Carefully crack egg and drop into the well of the avocado.
5) Drape bacon horizontally across avocado and egg, carefully wrap around and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining avocados.
6) Grate cheese over top. Season with black pepper if desired.
7) Bake for 20 minutes for a soft yolk, or 25 minutes for medium.
8) Carefully remove with spoon and serve warm.